Monday, March 15, 2010

Doing What Makes You Happy


Art has such an important role in "place." When we first started looking for a building it was an important consideration...were there art galleries, performing art venues, etc... I'm not sure everyone thinks about this when they are moving but I certainly did. For me being surrounded by beautiful things is important. As I sit writing this I can see a piece of art created for me by my dear friend Michael Sprouse. It is a portrait of my great grandfather. This piece brings me joy. I also have mugs that bring me joy. I know who made them, if not personally then by name. I feel a greater connection to these objects because someone made them.

For 15 years, I worked for Appalachian Spring, one of the top retailers of American Craft in the country. In fact, we were placed into a hall of fame, otherwise we may have kept on winning. There were some key elements that make the company successful- they selected great quality, they were committed to providing excellent customer service and they paid people on time. David and Polly Brooks are wonderful people and were very careful to cultivate relationships in every direction- with artists, with customers, with service providers, and with employees. I am very lucky to have learned from them. Over 15 years I have had a variety of roles within the company but I always loved working in the stores and helping people find the objects that made them happy or would make someone they love happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment