Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Happy American Craft Week!


I am sitting here in Monkitree surrounded by beautiful art, turned wood and assorted craft. Most of it made right here in Maine by what seems to be an endless supply of talented artists and craftspeople. Please remember to support your local artist, craftspeople and you local retailers and galleries this coming holiday season. Keep your money in your community, your state and your country. We have talented people here making gorgeous things.

Today I am pretty excited about Gardiner, Maine. It is a rainy day and hardly anyone is coming through the doors but I am still thrilled by Swine and Stein this past weekend. Many people came through the doors that hadn't yet been in and plenty of people returned to visit and make purchases. I had women trying on jewelry and pointing out to their husbands all the things they would be happy to receive as gifts. I had one young woman who currently lives in Portland but grew up here tell me that she was happy that something like Monkitree could exist in Gardiner. Peter tells me he took pictures of the gallery full of people. I must say it felt good to have a full space.

There were a couple of inquiries about buildings available for sale downtown and it is sounding like there just may be some new businesses coming to downtown Gardiner. It makes me happy when people see the potential and want to be a part of making the downtown a vibrant and active downtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment